red hot poker
- available to order from late autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August and September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Tall bright and imposing, kniphofias lend height, vibrancy and drama to any garden. This variety produces tall spikes of red flower buds that open to orange and fade to yellow above clumps of evergreen, strap-like leaves. Originally from South Africa, the fiery, torch-like flowers of this kniphofia make vertical accents in a sunny border and work particularly well in a planting scheme based on 'hot' colours. They also look great against a background of ornamental grasses. This is an easy and undemanding plant.
- Garden care: In autumn remove and compost the faded flower spikes and apply a deep dry mulch such as pine needles around the crown of the plant. Cut back to the ground in spring to keep the foliage fresh-looking. Divide and re-plant overcrowded colonies in spring.
Goes well with
2 litre pot
available to order from late autumn