Lathyrus latifolius 'Rosa Perle'
everlasting sweet pea ( syn. Pink Pearl )
- available to order from winter 2020
- 3 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Ever popular, this plant is smothered in showy sprays of purplish-pink, sweet pea-like flowers from June to September among grey-green leaves. A vigorous, perennial climber, it looks lovely scrambling over a sunny wall, although it needs to be tied into supports. Unlike the annual sweet pea, it has no fragrance.
- Garden care: Incorporate lots of well-rotted organic matter in the planting hole. Pinch out the shoot tips to encourage bushy growth and tie in new shoots to a support. Cut back the plant to ground level in early spring.