Lathyrus odoratus 'Mrs Bernard Jones'
spencer sweet pea seed
- available to order from spring
- approx 20 seeds
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Named after the renowned sweet pea breeders wife, this show-quality cultivar produces larger than average scented flowers on long stems, making them excellent for cutting. The colour of the petals is very pretty too, fading from near-cerise to a soft shell pink. An easy to mix, and all-round good performer, this sweet pea is definitely a star.
- Garden care: From October to late March, sow seeds into pots filled with good-quality seed compost and place them in a cold frame. Pinch out the tips as the plants grow to encourage them to become bushier, and harden off before planting out in a sunny spot from April onwards. Direct sowings can be made in October or March. It is important to remove the faded flowers before they set seed, so picking them to fill a vase inside will only encourage more to form.
- Sow: September-March
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 20 seeds.