Lathyrus odoratus 'Pluto'
spencer sweet pea
- available to order from autumn
- 4 plants
- Standard £4.95
These sweet peas are autumn sown and grown in root trainers to promote longer deep roots. They have been grown under a cold polythene tunnel and whilst they are hardy, they are still young and do need that extra bit of protection on cold nights for the first few weeks. Wrap them in some good quality horticultural fleece or bring them in to an unheated greenhouse or conservatory for the night.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: hardy annual
This lusciously coloured sweet pea will add bold splashes of colour to the border, where the bluish-purple flowers will look fab mixed with rich plums, lilacs and strong purples. The flowers appear throughout the summer if dead-headed regularly and have a delicate, sweet scent.
- Garden care: Incorporate lots of well-rotted organic matter in the planting hole. Feed with a high potash fertiliser, such as Tomorite for plenty of flowers and keep cutting them so that you get plenty more!