oval leaf privet - 60-80cm tall (1 year old bare root hedging)
- available to order from autumn
- 25 plants
- Standard £4.95
- Please note that as we reserve these especially for you, we take full payment when you place your order. They are then despatched when we start digging the plants, see despatch date above for the estimated delivery date.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July and August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Our bare root hedging range is a very low cost way of planting a hedge. These plants are only available to buy and plant when dormant (November-March). These plants, with known seed provenance, are grown in rich Herefordshire soil to give them the best possible start in life so they are rearing to go by the time they reach you.
These plants are 1 years old (0+1) grown from a hardwood cutting then for 1 year in a large field. The plants are lifted and graded at between 60-80cm tall, which is a good size to plant hedges at to get good establishment.
To find out more about how to plant a hedge, click here
This vigorous, oval leaf privet makes a crisp, pollution-tolerant hedge for an urban or surburban site. The small, oval, bright green leaves provide dense cover, and clusters of white flowers appear in July and August followed by shiny, spherical, black fruit. Thriving in sun or shade, the lustrous, dark green foliage will often provide a year-round backdrop, although it may be shed in colder regions or harsh winters. Keep in mind too that if grown as a hedge and kept pruned, it is unlikely to flower.
- Garden care: For best results, plant these bareroot plants out as soon as they arrive into well prepared soil. Where necessary remove any misplaced or diseased branches in late-winter or early spring. Trim hedging plants twice yearly - in May and August. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant.