oval leaf privet
(shipped in 2-3 working days)
- 12 lt pot (1-1.5m)
- Oversized £7.95
- Named day £15.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
To find out more about how to plant a hedge, click here.
This vigorous, oval leaf privet makes a crisp, pollution-tolerant hedge for an urban or surburban site. The small, oval, bright green leaves provide dense cover, and clusters of white flowers appear in July and August followed by shiny, spherical, black fruit. Thriving in sun or shade, the lustrous, dark green foliage will often provide a year-round backdrop, although it may be shed in colder regions or harsh winters. Keep in mind too that if grown as a hedge and kept pruned, it is unlikely to flower.
- Garden care: Plants grown as free-standing specimens require minimal pruning - where necessary remove any misplaced or diseased branches in late-winter or early spring. Trim hedging plants twice yearly - in May and August. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten