Eventual height & spread
european privet - 60-80cm tall (2 year old bare root hedging)
- available to order from autumn
- 25 plants - 60-80cm
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July and August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A very popular choice as a semi-evergreen hedge. Native to the UK and Europe, wild privet is deciduous and will lose some of its waxy, mid-green leaves during the winter but remains popular with birds for nesting sites. L. vulgare, has creamy white flowers in spring, that attract early-on-the-wing, pollinating insects.
Our bare root hedging range is a very low-cost way of planting a hedge. This hedging pack is only available to buy and plant when dormant (November- early April). With known seed provenance, these bare-root hedging plants are ready to plant by the time they reach you.
Our plants are 2 years old (1+1) which means they have been grown for one year in the seed bed then lifted and field grown for another year. Lifting the plant after its first year encourages a healthy fibrous root system. Lifted and graded at between 40cm-60cm tall - these hedging plants are a good size to encourage sucessful establishment.
To find out more about how to plant a hedge, click here
- Garden care: For best results, plant as soon as they arrive into well-prepared soil. Trim hedging plants twice yearly, in May and August. Check there are no nesting birds (or nests being built) prior to cutting, delay cut if present. After trimming apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten