Lilium 'Crimson Pixie'
Asiatic lily bulb
- available to order from winter 2020
- 1 bulb
- 2 + 1 FREE bulbs
- Position: full sun or lightly dappled shade
- Soil: fertile, reliably moist soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June - July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb Size: 12/14
This dwarf Asiatic lilly puts ona jaw-dropping display in early summer, when its red trumpet-shaped flowers open from pointed buds. Its compact habit makes it perfect for patio pots, but it will also grow well towards the front of the border, where it mixes happily with other hot colours. Alternatively, create a dramatic look by using it next to strong purples. Plant more than you need though as you will want to cut some for the vase. The RSPCA have reported that all parts of lilies can be fatal to cats, including the flower, leaves and pollen. For more information visit Rspca.org
- Garden care: Lilies can be planted at any time from early autumn, to mid-spring. Planting in autumn often helps them settle in and become better established before they start to put on their new spring growth, but spring planting is a better option if your soil is heavy and wet during winter. Choose a sunny spot, preferably where the plant receives a little light shade at its base, and plant each bulb 15-20cm deep in a well-drained soil, enriched with well-rotted organic matter or leaf mould. Space them between 15 - 30cm intervals and provide support before the flowers appear. Deadhead the faded blooms promptly and cut the dead stems back to ground level at the end of autumn.