Lilium 'Forever Marjolein'
Asiatic lily bulb
- available to order from summer 2021
- 1 bulb
- Standard (dispatched separately)
- Position: full sun
- Soil: well-drained soil enriched with leaf mould or a loam-based potting compost, such as John Innes No.2
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 16/18
The petals of this gorgeous lily are a rich blend of pink and apricot, so the overall effect is quite warm and tropical. An Asiatic hybrid, it will jazz up a summer planting scheme in the border, and it also looks impressive when potted up.
The RSPCA has reported that all parts of the lily can be fatal to cats, including the flower, leaves and pollen. For more information visit RSPCA.org.uk.
- Garden care: Lilies can be planted at any time from early autumn to mid-spring. Planting in autumn often helps them settle in and become better established before they start to put on their new spring growth, but spring planting is a better option if your soil is heavy and wet during winter. Choose a sunny spot, preferably where the plant receives a little light shade at its base, and plant each bulb 15-20cm (6-8in) deep in a well-drained soil, enriched with well-rotted organic matter or leaf mould. Space them at approximately 30cm (12") intervals and provide support before the flowers appear. Deadhead the faded blooms promptly and cut the dead stems back to ground level at the end of autumn.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs