Oriental lily collection
- 2+1 FREE collections
- 1 collection
- Standard £4.95
Buy the collection of 3 lilies (1 of each variety) for £8.99 or buy 2 collections for £17.98 and get another collection FREE
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June and July
- Hardiness: tender (needs frost protection)
The RSPCA have reported that all parts of the lily can be fatal to cats, including the flower, leaves and pollen. For more information visit Rspca.org
In each collection you will receive 1 bulb each of:
Lilium 'Star Gazer'
Stately sprays of fragrant, deep pink flowers edged in a delicate white line are produced in July and August. Lilies are one of the all time favourite summer-flowering bulbs as they look superb in any garden scheme. Though they are best planted in autumn when the bulbs are still plump, lilies can still be planted in spring for an eye-catching summer display. Grows to 100cm high.
Sprays of magnificent pure white flowers with pink spots and soft pink down the center of each petal and lovley red stamens. The flowers appear in midsummer, and are one of the all time favourtie summer-flowering bulb. Universally loved for their big showy flowers, these lilies make excellent cut-flowers. Grows to 100cm high.
Lilium 'Curly Sue '
Soft pink waxy petals, which are recurved towards their pointed tips and are lightly freckled with maroon, frame the prominent boss of orange stamens. Impressive and elegant in early summer, this lily will also fill your borders (or your room if they are cut for the vase) with their deliciously sweet perfume. Grows to 90cm high.
- Garden care: Lilies can be planted at any time from early autumn, to mid-spring. Planting in autumn often helps them settle in and become better established before they start to put on their new spring growth, but spring planting is a better option if your soil is heavy and wet during winter. Choose a sunny spot, preferably where the plant receives a little light shade at its base, and plant each bulb 15-20cm deep in a well-drained soil, enriched with well-rotted organic matter or leaf mould. Space them between 15 - 30cm intervals and provide support before the flowers appear. Deadhead the faded blooms promptly and cut the dead stems back to ground level at the end of autumn.