Lilium 'Yellow Planet'
Trumpet lily Yellow Planet bulb
- 2 + 1 FREE bulbs
- available to order from winter
- 1 bulb
- Standard (dispatched separately)
- Position: full sun with light dappled shade at its base
- Soil: fertile, reliably moist soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 14/16
Forming impressively tall, upright leafy stems, which in summer are crowned with clusters of large, upward-facing, yellow trumpets, this lily is sure to turn heads. A dramatic presence in the border, the flowers are long-lived and can be cut for the vase.
The RSPCA has reported that all parts of the lily can be fatal to cats, including the flower, leaves and pollen. For more information visit RSPCA.org.uk.
- Garden care: Lilies can be planted at any time from early autumn to mid-spring. Planting in autumn often helps them settle in and become better established before they start to put on their new spring growth, but spring planting is a better option if your soil is heavy and wet during winter. Choose a sunny spot, preferably where the plant receives a little light shade at its base, and plant each bulb 15-20cm (6-8in) deep in a well-drained soil, enriched with well-rotted organic matter or leaf mould. Space them at approximately 30cm (12") intervals and provide support before the flowers appear. Deadhead the faded blooms promptly and cut the dead stems back to ground level at the end of autumn.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs