big blue lily-turf
- 6 × 9cm pots
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
- Position: partial to full shade, but will tolerate a sunnier spot if the soil is reliably moist.
- Soil: well-drained, neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to November
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Producing a prolific number of lilac-blue flower spikes on violet-flushed stems, which rise from the dense, tufted clumps of leathery, dark green foliage, this is perhaps the showiest of all the lily turfs. Ideal for adding colour to the front of the border in autumn, it is adaptable and tough, without becoming thuggish. For added interest, under-plant it with spring flowering bulbs.
- Garden care: To encourage new growth, cut off tired-looking leaves down to the ground in spring. This is also the time to lift and divide large clumps.