Eventual height & spread
Lonicera periclymenum Chic et Choc ('Inov205') (PBR)
bush honeysuckle (syn. Lonicera Chic & Choc)
- available to order from late summer
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is semi-evergreen, so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new foliage appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
For many months in summer, this compact honeysuckle is packed with deliciously scented flowers, which open from mulberry-stained buds. It will only grow to around 4' in height, which makes it perfect for both pots or borders - but you'll want to place it somewhere that you're going to linger (a seating area, pathway or entrance would be ideal) so you can enjoy their heady perfume.
- Garden care: Once established, trim back lanky stems after flowering and remove up to a third of the oldest stems. In early spring, apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.