Lysimachia atropurpurea 'Beaujolais'
- available to order from spring 2021
- 9cm pot
- 2 + 1 FREE 9cm pots
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Striking, burgundy flower spikes on long slender stems flower continuously from May to September. The attractive, crinkled rosettes of silver-green foliage are an excellent foil for the flowers, which are also highly attractive to butterflies. A versatile plant that can be short-lived, spreads slowly and performs best in a moist border in sun or partial shade, or it can be grown in a pot on the patio. It makes an excellent cut flower, too.
- Garden care: Incorporate lots of organic matter when planting. Do not allow to dry out. Apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plants in spring and lift and divide congested colonies.