Lythrum salicaria 'Swirl'
- available to order from late spring
- 9cm pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or very lightly dappled shade
- Soil: fertile, deep, moist soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Wonderful in a naturalised setting, particularly where it has room to grow into a generous drift, the flowers of this summer flowering perennial form in large upright spikes and are particularly appealing to bees. Loostrife is a moisture-loving plant, which is incredibly useful for those hard to fill boggy areas in the garden - and it can also look spectacular when planted at the edge of a large pond.
- Garden care: It self-seeds freely, so if you want to control its spread remove the flowerspikes as they fade.