Magnolia Black Tulip ('Jurmag1') (PBR)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, acidic soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: March to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Deep burgundy-purple, tulip-like flowers that grow up to 15cm in diameter, crowd the slender stems before the larger than average leaves emerge each spring. It is one of the darkest flowering of all the magnolias and it is quite simply gorgeous. Use it as a feature plant in a spring garden and underplant with an array of spring-flowering bulbs for a jaw-dropping display.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in midsummer. Plant in a sheltered spot, adding plenty of compost to the planting hole. Mulch in spring with manure and leafmould, especially on dry soils.