- in stock
- 3 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any moist, well-drained soil, including chalky
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: August to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
An impressive, evergreen tree with leathery, dark green, glossy leaves with rust-coloured hairs underneath. In late summer and early autumn, large, fragrant, pure white, goblet-shaped flowers open from upright, woolly buds at the end of the shoots. This tree looks magnificent grown as a wall shrub, or as a large specimen tree in a sheltered spot. This variety is tolerant of chalky soils.
- Garden care: Plant in a sheltered spot, away from strong winds. Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in spring. The best time to plant is in April, adding plenty of compost to the planting hole, in a sheltered spot. Mulch in spring with manure or leafmould, especially on dry soils.