- available to order from autumn
- 12lt pot (0.6-0.8m)
- Standard £4.95
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: any moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: March to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A popular, compact, bushy shrub or small tree with mid-green leaves and silky buds which open up to large, pure white, star-shaped flowers, sometimes faintly flushed pink. The flowers are lightly scented, and open very early, before the leaves, eventually covering the shrub for several weeks. This is one of the best magnolias for a small garden.
- Garden care: Plant in a sheltered spot, away from strong winds. Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in midsummer. Plant in a sheltered spot, adding plenty of composted matter to the planting hole. Mulch in spring with manure and leaf mould, especially on dry soils.