- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, acidic soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A bushy, upright shrub with large mid-green leaves. From mid spring to midsummer, narrow goblet-shaped, fragrant flowers emerge from slender, dark burgundy buds. These open to slightly twisted petals which are burgundy on the outside and paler on the inside. A glorious deciduous magnolia that makes a lovely specimen for a small garden with acidic soil.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in midsumer. Plant in a sheltered spot, adding plenty of ericaceous compost to the planting hole. Mulch in spring with manure and leafmould, especially on dry soils.