Mammillaria hahniana subs. woodsii
old lady cactus
- in stock
- 12cm pot
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position:bright, filtered light
- Compost: specialist cacti compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 10cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 14cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
An easy to look after, small cactus from Mexico which starts off as a solitary stem but can become clustered as it matures but never getting very large. With a globular shape and a somewhat flatterned top it is covered with white spines and a white down. The spines emerge out of small swellings, or tubercles where the plant stores water. If the condtions are right in the spring rose- red flowers appear from the top of the cactus like a halo. Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Place it in a bright spot and in spring and summer, water when the compost gets dry, but make sure it never sits in excess water for any length of time. In autumn cut back on the water and keep it almost dry throughout the winter - watering only if it starts to look a bit shrivelled. Avoid a humid atmosphere (no bathrooms or steamy kitchens) and in the warmer months, open a window or door occasionally so it can enjoy the fresh air. Repot every year or two into a slightly larger pot using cacti compost. You will find it easier to tackle if you concertina a couple of sheets of newspaper and then fold these around the spines, leaving a 'tail' that you can use to lift the plant out of one pot and into another. Otherwise invest in some thorn-proof gloves!