dwarf turks-cap cactus
- in stock
- 10.5cm pot
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Compost: specialist cacti compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 10cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 12cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
A neat globose shaped fleshy green cactus, with 8 to 9 ribs running the length of the plant, each rib having reddish/yellow radial spines protruding out. As the cactus grows and matures, eventually a distinctive central dome develops at the top called a cephalium which is covered with wool and bristles. From this unusual growth the buds form, opening into carmine pink flowers.
- Home care: Place it in a bright spot and in spring and summer, water when the compost gets dry, but make sure it never sits in excess water for any length of time. In autumn and winter cut back on the watering but do not let it dry out completely. Avoid a humid atmosphere (no bathrooms or steamy kitchens) and in the warmer months, open a window or door occasionally so it can enjoy the fresh air. Repot every year or two into a slightly larger pot using cacti compost. You will find it easier to tackle if you concertina a couple of sheets of newspaper and then fold these around the spines, leaving a 'tail' that you can use to lift the plant out of one pot and into another. Otherwise invest in some thorn-proof gloves!