mint - English lamb mint
English lamb mint / Mentha spicata 'English Lamb'
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This herb dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or part shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moisture retentive soil
- Rate of growth: fast
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A superbly flavoured cultivar, which as the name suggests, is perfect for making the classic accompaniment to lamb - mint sauce. It's easy to grow and will flourish in borders or pots. Try to plant it somewhere that is easily accessible, so you can nip out and snip some off whenever you need it.
- Garden care: When plants have finished flowering in summer, cut flowered shoots back to 5cm (2in) above the surface of the compost. Mint can be vigorous in the garden so contain by planting in a large pot. but keep well watered.