mint - spearmint
(shipped within 1-2 working days)
- approx 300 seeds
- Seed Packets (only) £5.95
- Named day £14.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moisture retentive soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Hardiness: fully hardy
An invaluable and easy to grow herb bearing spearmint-scented, lance-shaped leaves, and small, light purple flowers in interrupted terminal spikes. It can be used to make delicious mint sauces and teas as well as flavour sweets, puddings and toothpaste. Initially upright, the stems become lax as they grow, and begin to root where they touch the ground, so in time large clumps will be formed. If you prefer to keep them under control, they are best planted in large pots or containers, where they will thrive if kept well watered.
- Growing instructions: From late winter to mid-spring, sow shallowly in trays or pots of good quality seed compost and keep moist but not overly wet. Germination at 64-68°F (18-20°C) can be slow and erratic. Transplant to larger pots and harden off before planting outside after all risk of frost has passed. Alternatively, sow directly into a well-prepared bed in late spring and when large enough to handle, thin out to allow 25cm between each plant. Once established, regular picking will help encourage new growth to form.
- Sow: February to May
- Harvest: June to November