Milium effusum 'Aureum'
Bowles' golden grass
- available to order from late spring
- 2 litre pot
This grass is semi-evergreen, so it can lose some of its foliage in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose it all, but then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow growing
- Flowering period: May to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A brilliant plant for a shady spot, this semi-evergreen grass gets going in early spring, and forms a rich, yellow mound which matures to a bright green. Delicate golden flowers form a haze in summer. Plant at the edge of a shady border, or in groups as part of a woodland planting scheme.
- Garden care: Divide in spring if clumps start to look tatty.