Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus'
Chinese silver grass
- available to order from late summer
- 2 litre pot
This grass dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist, well drained or sandy
- Rate of growth: slow to average
- Flowering period: August to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A statuesque, relatively fine foliage grass that flowers late, so will help extend the season of interest in a mixed border well into autumn. It's slender arching leaves have a distinctive white stripe down the centre, and although it does not flower as reliably as other Miscanthus sinensis cultivars, when it does, it produces striking, silky brown flowers that hang like tassels. It is relatively compact, so is ideal for larger patio pots too.
- Garden care: Cut down to the ground in late winter, before the new foliage appears.