Chinese yellow banana
- available to order from late spring
- 12cm pot
- Position: full sun to partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
Once thought to be extinct, this handsome banana was found growing in remote regions of the Himalayas in southwest China. The clump-forming plant has huge, paddle-like, bright green leaves and mature specimens will produce long-lasting yellow, summer flowers. As the flower develops, the original plant will start to die, but it will produce off shoots and will continue to thrive. In the winter or during a cold snap the foliage will brown off, but if the root is kept protected the plant will bounce back and continue to grow as soon as the temperatures rise again.
- Garden care: Though the root is fairly hardy the foliage does need to be protected with a mulch of fleece and straw in autumn.