Nepenthes × ventricosa
pitcher plant / monkey cups
- in stock
- 14cm hanging pot
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
- Position: bright filtered or direct sunlight
- Soil: a specialist carnivorous compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 20cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot: Already in a hanging pot ready to hang
The pitchers of this distinctive carnivorous plant have a brightly coloured rim, and they secrete a nectar that attracts the insects, which are then trapped inside before being digested. A truly unique and variable plant, it is perhaps not the best option for a novice grower - although it is said to be one of the easiest pitcher plants to grow. Therefore it will make a great choice for the enthusiast. The plant comes in a hanging plastic pot and is ready to start catching those flies!
- Home care: Keep the soil moist at all times, making sure that the excess water drains away freely and the plant is not left sitting in water for any length of time. Placing the pot on a tray filled with pebbles and water will help increase the humidity around the plant, while daytime temperatures should be maintained around 18° - 27°C, with a minimum of 7°C at night. Never add water into the pitchers as this can cause them to shrivel and die. Pot on in spring using a specialist compost.