Nigella papillosa 'Delft Blue'
- in stock
(shipped within 1 week)
- approx 500 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: hardy annual
A beautiful annual with variably splashed and mottled silver-grey and blue petals, which form a disc-like base for the prominent plum-purple stamens. The flowers are excellent for cutting and after they have faded they produce decorative seedheads, which look great in dried arrangements.
- Garden care:Best sown in situ, 5mm deep. Prepare the seedbed by incorporating some composted organic matter, remove any stones and rake to a fine tilth. Sow in autumn if you want early flowers the following summer, or in mid spring for a later crop. Thin them out when they are large enough to handle allowing 30cm between each. Deadheading regularly will help prolong the flowering period into autumn. Support the plants with twiggy branches in exposed gardens.
- Sow: September-October or March-May
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 500 seeds.