Outdoor orchid collection
hardy orchid collection
- in stock
- 2+1 FREE collections
- in stock
- 1 collection
- Standard £4.95
Buy the collection of 3 Orchids (1 of each variety) for £13.99 or buy 2 collections for £27.98 and get another collection FREE
- Position: partial shade
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
Sought after for their exotic-looking blooms, the orchids in this collection originate from cool and temperate woodlands in eastern Asia, so are more tolerant of lower temperatures than most. In milder areas they can be planted out in a sheltered, partially shaded border, with the protection of a thick layer of mulch in autumn. When growing them in colder regions, they can be kept in pots, which can easily be moved to an alpine house or unheated greenhouse during the winter months.
In each collection you will receive 1 bulb of each of the following:
- Pleione formosana Each rounded pseudobulb produces a solitary bloom in spring. A soft blend of pink and lilac, the flowers have a white lip, which is variously mottled with brown and plum-pink. After the flower starts to fade, a folded leaf unfurls and new pseudobulbs develop at its base. Grows to 15cm.
- Pleione Tongariro The lip of these rich pink flowers has a finely fringed edge and is attractively speckled inside with orange and red. Appearing from mid-spring to early summer, they will provide a colourful show towards the front of a partially shaded border. Grows to 15cm.
- Bletilla striata Up to 12 pink blooms, each with ruffled lips that are usually infused with a darker shade, open in succession on the slender, upright stem in spring. An easy to grow plant, which if left undisturbed, will spread to form good-sized clumps.Grows to 50cm.
- Garden care: They are not fully hardy so they will need winter protection. Those grown in a pot can easily be moved to a cool greenhouse or conservatory and kept dry over winter.