Paeonia lactiflora 'Jan van Leeuwen'
paeony / peony
- in stock
- 2 litre pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moisture-retentive yet well-drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Fragrant, elegant, single white flowers with a contrasting yellow centre appear from late spring to early summer over the dark green leaves. This lovely, long lived, late spring flowering peony is perfect for a border in full sun or partial shade. The foliage provides interest from early spring, when the red mottled stems first emerge from the ground.
- Garden care: Deadhead after flowering. In early spring apply a top dressing of a balanced, slow release fertiliser around the base of the plant and mulch with well-rotted compost or manure. If the plant shows signs of collapse or the leaves become spotty, this may be a symptom of peony botrytis. Remove affected leaves immediately. In the autumn, cut off all the foliage and dispose of it to prevent reinfection the following spring.