venus slipper orchid
- available to order from midsummer
- 12cm pot - 40cm tall
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: these plants do not need to grow in compost, but if potting up, use a specialist orchid compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 40cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Number of stems: 2 flower stems
- Pot cover: choose an orchid high pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
These orchids are relatively easy to grow, and the big, showy blooms, which top slender stems above strap-shaped foliage, look amazing! Originating from the Far East where they can be found growing on forest floors, they make exotic additions to the home or office, and if placed in the right spot, they could go on to flower again and again in subsequent years.
Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Place this orchid in a bright spot that's out of direct sunlight and maintain temperatures between 15 - 27C. Water when the potting media feels quite dry to the touch, and make sure all the excess water can drain away freely afterwards. Mist the leaves regularly with water - particularly in winter if they are kept in a centrally heated room. When the flowers have faded (usually after a month or two) cut the flower stem back to its base.