parsnip / Pastinaca sativa 'Gladiator' F1
- in stock
(shipped within 5 days)
- approx 800 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun or part shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moisture retentive soil
A top-quality parsnip, that is often grown by the exhibitors as it’s so reliable and trouble-free. The long, slender roots are a soft pale cream with consistently smooth, blemish-free skin. It’s resistant to canker and generally very healthy and plants are quick to mature and produce a useable crop very early in the season. They also have a rich, sweet and earthy flavour.
- Growing Instructions: Parsnips need a long season to grow well and do best started early in the year. They also dislike being transplanted, so sow direct into shallow drills 45cm apart and thin seedlings to 15cm. Alternatively, pop two or three seeds in at 15cm intervals and then nip out all but the strongest once the seedlings appear. Crops are ready to harvest from autumn onwards, but the flavour improves once they have experienced sub-zero temperatures, so if possible, wait until the first frost before harvesting and you'll have sweeter roots to eat.
- Sow: Mid-March to mid-May
- Harvest: September to February
- Approximate quantity: 800 seeds