Eventual height & spread
Penstemon 'Andenken an Friedrich Hahn'
beard tongue (syn. Penstemon Garnet)
- available to order from spring
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: frost hardy (will need winter protection in cold areas)
Elegant spikes of small, tubular, foxglove-like flowers appear from July to October among lance-shaped, bright green leaves. This vibrant, easy-to-grow perennial commemorates an 18th century German astronomer. It will quickly form large, leafy clumps and is perfect for adding a splash of colour to the middle of a sunny, well-drained border. The sumptuous, deep wine-red flowers contrast well with acid greens and silver leaved plants or with wispy grasses and spiky leaves.
- Garden care: Remove the faded blooms regularly to prolong flowering. Apply a dry mulch around the base of the plant to protect the roots from frost damage and cut back in spring when new shoots appear low down on the stem. Lift and divide congested clumps in spring.