Penstemon 'Apple Blossom'
- in stock
- 9cm pot
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: frost hardy (will need winter protection in cold areas)
Clusters of small, white-throated, pale pink, bell-shaped flowers appear for several months from midsummer above the mounds of mid-green foliage. This pretty perennial is perfect for the middle of a sunny, mixed or herbaceous border, where it will mix happily with richer pinks, white and most shades of blue or purple. For the best results chose a well-drained site as it strongly dislikes waterlogged winter soils.
- Garden care: Remove the faded blooms regularly to prolong flowering. Apply a dry mulch around the base of the plant to protect the roots from frost damage and cut back in spring when new shoots appear low down on the stem. Lift and divide congested clumps in spring.