Penstemon 'Pensham Plum Jerkum' (Pensham Series)
- available to order from spring
- 2 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
From early summer to mid-autumn, upright flower spikes rise above the clumps of semi-evergreen foliage, bearing white-throated, plum-purple flowers. An invaluable late-flowering gap-filler, it mixes easily with ornamental grasses.
- Garden care: Remove the faded blooms regularly to prolong flowering. Apply a dry mulch around the base of the plant to protect the roots from frost damage in autumn. Leave the old foliage to protect the new shoots from frost and then cut it back by a third in spring.