Iris 'Jane Phillips'
- available to order from spring 2021
- 9cm pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained, moderately fertile, neutral to acidic soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Deservedly popular, this has delicate flax-blue, slightly fragrant flowers with spectacular, ruffled petals in May and June and fans of sword-shaped, grey-green leaves. This tall bearded iris is gorgeous planted en masse in a sunny, well-drained border or as part of a cottage garden scheme.
- Garden care: Plant shallowly with the upper part of the rhizome sitting on the surface of the soil, incorporating a low nitrogen fertiliser in the planting hole. After planting remove the uppermost third of the leaves to protect against wind-rock. In exposed areas stake with bamboo canes in early spring. Divide and replant about every three years.
- Harmful if eaten