Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Firetail'
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any moist soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Long, slender spikes clustered with tiny, fluffy, crimson-red flowers rise from mid summer to early autumn above semi-evergreen, lance-shaped, mid-green leaves. This clump-forming, vigorous perennial has handsome foliage and quickly makes dense groundcover in sun or partial shade. Plant it in bold swathes to add vertical interest in the border right through till mid autumn and give it plenty of space. Persicaria does not like dry soil, so performs best in a bog garden or beside a pond. Bees and other insects love it too!
- Garden care: Lift and divide congested colonies in spring or autumn.