Philodendron scandens 'Brasil'
sweetheart plant or heart-leaf
- available to order from summer
- 15cm pot 50cm tall
- Standard £5.95
- Position: bright filtered or indirect light
- Soil: general-purpose potting compost
- Rate of growth: fast
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 50cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 16cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
Heart-shaped, glossy, verdant leaves with irregular, golden-yellow variegated markings matching the colours of the Brazilian flag. ‘Brasil’ is a playful and versatile houseplant and can be trained either on a moss pole as it is here, or allowed to unfurl and flop as a trailing evergreen. The leaves help purify the air inside the home too!
- Home care: Water freely when in growth, but keep drier in winter. Mist the leaves regularly with water to increase humidity and every so often put it under a cold shower to wash off the leaves. Make sure the winter temperatures stay above 10°C, and repot every couple of years.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten; skin/eye irritant/allergen