Pieris 'Forest Flame'
- in stock
(shipped within 1 week)
- 5 litre pot
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moist, well-drained acid soil or ericaceous compost
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: frost hardy (will need winter protection)
Glossy, brilliant red young leaves gradually turn pink, creamy white, then dark green. In late spring, clusters of pretty, ivory, nodding bell-like flowers appear, resembling lily-of-the-valley. The fiery red young foliage of this upright evergreen shrub will add a splash of vivid colour to a shady shrub border or woodland edge. One of the best varieties, this pieris needs a moist, well-drained acid soil and shade from morning sun.
- Garden care: Add composted pine needles or ericaceous compost when planting and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch each year around the base of the plant in early spring. Remove the faded flower-heads in late spring along with any frost-damaged foliage.