common staghorn fern
(shipped within 1-2 working days)
- 18cm hanging pot
- Next / named day
- Position: bright indirect light
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 35cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot: supplied in a hanging pot ready to hang
In its natural environment, this unusual (epiphytic) fern would usually be found attached to the branches or stem of a tree, but these ones have been potted up into hanging baskets so they can easily be displayed in the home. The combination of their flattened sterile fronds and gently arching, elkhorn-like fertile fronds is both dramatic and elegant - and will help to bring a tropical feel to the display.
- Home care: Ideally suited to a humid environment, these plants should be kept well watered in summer, and misted with water on a regular basis - particularly in winter when the central heating is turned on. Maintain temperatures above 10°C in winter and repot when necessary using a freely draining mix of equal parts leaf mould, sphagnum moss, charcoal and loam.