Rhaphiolepis indica Springtime ('Monme')
- available to order from spring
- 3 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist but well-drained, moderately-fertile, neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to July
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
The soft pink, star-shaped flowers, which have a light scent, appear in soft clusters above the lustrous, evergreen foliage, creating a very pretty effect in late spring or early summer. Grow this sun-loving shrub at the base of a south-facing wall where it has protection from cold, drying winds for best effect.
- Garden care: Incorporate lots of well-rotted organic matter into the planting hole when planting. After flowering lightly prune any shoots that spoil the symmetry of the plant.