Eventual height & spread
Rhododendron BloomChampion Red ('RLH1-9P7') (PBR)
reblooming evergreen azalea Bloom Champion
- available to order from summer
- 9cm pot
This shrub is semi-evergreen, so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new foliage appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil or ericaceous compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April-May, then again in July-September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Bred in America and only just available to the British market, this extraordinary new rhododendron can flower for up to 5 months of the year. The flowers themselves are an eye-catching shade of red, and they appear initially in abundance, so virtually smother the compact mound of semi-evergreen foliage.
- Garden care: Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of leaf mould around the base of the plant each spring. Protect from hot afternoon sun and cold drying winds.