sweet pontica azalea, deciduous azalea
- available to order from autumn
- 4 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil or ericaceous compost
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May and June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Sweetly scented, yellow, funnel shaped blooms in May and June and mid green leaves, which take on vivid bonfire shades in autumn. This vigorous, deciduous azalea looks great planted in a mixed border with other evergreen trees or shrubs. As long as it's given moist, well-drained acid soil it will tolerate full sun.
- Garden care: Avoid planting too deeply. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of leaf mould around the base of the plant each spring.