Rodgersia pinnata 'Superba'
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moist soil
- Rate of growth: slow-to-establish
- Flowering period: July and August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Spikes of bright-pink, star-shaped flowers on dark-red stems in mid and late summer above deeply divided, dark green leaves, purplish-bronze when young. This award-winning rodgersia is perfect for the moist margins of a pond or stream. Best grown in a sheltered, partially shady site, it contrasts well with the lacy-textured foliage of regal or shuttlecock ferns.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould when planting. Protect the young foliage against slug damage using beer traps or environmentally friendly slug pellets. Lift and divide congested colonies in early spring.