Sansevieria kirkii 'Silver Blue'
mother-in-law's tongue 'Silver Blue'
- available to order from spring
- 10cm pot - 22cm tall
- Standard £5.95
- Position: ideally bright, with some full sun, but will also tolerate shade
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 22.5cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 12cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
If you are already familiar with the mother-in-law's tongues, then you will know how easy they are to grow - and that they are one of the best houseplants for areas of low light. 'Silver Blue' is a form that is not seen too often, and unlike the more common form, its patterned leaves, which have a fine variegated edge, have a spreading habit.
The pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery pot), but they do make excellent potted plants. If you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
Please note: it is quite common for these plants to have small nicks or scars on their leaves. This does not affect their long-term health or vigour in any way.
- Home care: The main thing to avoid with this plant is overwatering, so only water (avoiding the crown) when the compost gets quite dry. In winter you can cut back even more and only water every month or two and keep temperatures above 10°C. Repot every few years when the roots start to split the pot.
- Pets: Harmful if eaten