mother-in-law's tongue / snake plant
- Available in 4 weeks
- 24cm pot - 80cm tall
- Next / named day
- Position: ideally bright, with some full sun, but will also tolerate shade
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 80cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 25cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
This must be one of the easiest houseplants to grow being tough and near indestructable, yet it is still stylish, simple and loved by interior designers. Clump forming with strong, broad, sword-like grey-green leaves which are crossbanded with a darker green creates the perfect plant for a modern home, and our busy lifestyles.
Please note: It is quite common for these plants to have small nicks or scars on their leaves. This does not affect their long term health or vigour in any way.
- Home care:The main thing to avoid with this plant is over- watering, so only water (avoiding the crown) when the compost gets quite dry. In winter you can cut back even more and only water every month or two and keep temperatures above 10°C. Repot every few years when the roots start to split the pot.