Sarcococca hookeriana var. hookeriana 'Ghorepani'
- available to order from spring 2021
- 2 litre pot
- Position: partial to deep shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing to average
- Flowering period: December to March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Named after the village in Nepal where it was discovered growing, this compact suckering shrub has upright, well-branching stems that are clothed with lustrous green leaves. In winter, relatively inconspicuous, highly scented creamy white flowers appear and these are followed by rounded near-black berries. A tough and undemanding evergreen, it tolerates drought and shade once established.
- Garden care: In late winter or early spring lightly trim or prune back shoots that spoil the plant's symmetry. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost around the base of the plant.