Eventual height & spread
Sarcococca hookeriana var. humilis Fragrant Mountain ('Sarsid4') (PBR)
- 2 litre pot
- available to order from autumn
- Standard £5.95
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: late winter and early spring
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A tough and adaptable evergreen, that can be potted up or planted out. It tolerates dry, shady conditions (although it will need to be watered well until it has become established), so it is ideal for those tricky spots beneath established trees and larger shrubs. It forms a dense and uniform cluster of lustrous, rich green foliage, and in late winter and early spring, the tops of the stems are threaded with small, creamy white flowers that have a deliciously sweet, knockout scent.
- Garden care: If necessary after flowering lightly trim or prune back shoots that spoil the plant's symmetry. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost around the base of the plant.
- Humans/Pets: Fruit are ornamental - not to be eaten