Sarcococca humilis 'Fragrant Valley' (PBR)
- available to order from spring
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: late winter and early spring
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Forming a dense, spreading crown of lustrous green leaves, which in late winter and early spring is studded with small but powerfully perfumed flowers, this undemanding evergreen will add year-round interest to areas of dry shade. It can also be used in pots, which could be placed near an entrance or pathway, so you can catch the flowers sweet scent each time you pass.
- Garden care: If necessary after flowering lightly trim or prune back shoots that spoil the plant's symmetry. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost around the base of the plant.