Skimmia japonica 'Magic Marlot' (PBR)
japanese skimmia (male)
- available to order from summer
- 13cm pot
- Position: partial to full shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to May
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: male plant
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A colourful evergreen that forms neat mounds of variegated, green and cream foliige. In autumn rounded clusters of white buds appear, and these remain on the plant throughout the winter, turning deep red as they mature and finally opening in spring to fragrant, creamy white flowers. It is useful for creating year-round interest in the border, or for filling a medium sized pot.
- Garden care: Lightly trim after flowering, if necessary. To improve the moisture retention qualities of the soil add plenty of well-rotted compost when planting.